All soil is not created the same
There can be some pretty big differences. So what makes for good dirt anyway? Topsoil is made up of sand, silt, and clay. When combined in just the right proportions you end up with a soil that is an ideal environment for growth. Topsoil also has decomposed plant matter, or organic matter; that’s where the plant’s nutrients come from. If you have good dirt then you’re sure to find some happy earthworms in there too!
There are some other variations of topsoil out there depending on what you’re doing but we can help you find what you need.
- So what are some ways you can use soil?
- Make a garden
- Repair lawn damage
- Build up around house foundation
- Fill in holes
Take a look at the different types of soil we carry below, we also carry compost. We will make sure you get the right kind for your specific application, and remember, you can always trust a worm to know good dirt!
Shredded Top Soil
A high-quality topsoil that is run through a shredding machine to break up the lumps and make it easy to work with and rake out. Available primarily during growing season. Subject to availability.
- for lawn areas, either to put in a new lawn or to top-dress an existing lawn or fill in holes or depressions in a lawn.
- for gardens areas where the customer would like to amend the soil with their own products.
- for bringing up the soil level along the house foundation to create a positive grade away from the foundation.
- for the planting of trees and shrubs where additional soil is needed.
Garden Mix (Keleny Blend)
This mix starts with the same high quality top soil we use for shredded top soil. To this we add compost and sand to make a highly nutritious soil mix that drains well and provides nutrition to you plants. We keep this material in a building so it is always available.
- for flower and vegetable gardens and raised garden beds to allow your plants to grow to their full potential.
Garden Mix (Purple Cow Blend)
This is a mix of our high-quality topsoil and “Certified Organic Purple Cow Classic” compost
- for flower and vegetable gardens and raised garden beds to allow your plants to grow to their full potential. Can be used in lawn areas.
A high quality clay that is shredded to make it easy to work with.
- used for making ball diamond mixes
- for making straw-clay walls and for earthen plastering
- sometimes used around a foundation of a house to help prevent water from penetrating to the foundation wall.